Sunday, October 14, 2012

Wild Boy & The Mountains




  Right now, I'm listening to Brady cry his own name from inside his room. He's feeling sorry for himself having to take a nap. (Poor child.)  In a brand new, full size bed filled with pillows and his parents down comforter, no less. I believe it's a parents job to put their children first before themselves always, of course until days like today occur when my brain has gone fuzzy. He calmly says "No." in a store when I tell him to sit, and starts a domino effect on any shelf when he comes within distance. It's funny when it's not your child. Ha. Ha. Today, he screwed off the cap and poured an entire bottle of eye makeup remover on himself at Target. He quietly said "Uh ohhhhhh." while all his clothes and everything in the cart was soaked in oil.

                                                I start adding up a few of the "funny" things he's done.

                                -This summer, he jumped in the deep end of the pool without swimmies. 
         Sunk straight to the bottom. 

          -Ran across our retaining wall in the backyard and slipped off, falling straight into the bushes. Screamed only because we had to go inside.

        -Last week, I opened a few windows to let fresh air in the house. He quietly kicked out the screen of a window... and  jumped. Thankfully only onto the deck.

        -He has atleast one busted lip a week, and his first black eye has finally healed. 
         He hates band-aids, I think because he wanted everyone to see his battle wounds.
I promise the entire family does everything in their power to prevent this behavior...

    I told him we needed to sit and "have a talk" earlier this morning. He smiled and ran towards my lap. He sat, so I started... "It's time to calm down. We do not touch everything we see, and you say YES when mommy asks you to do something." His response? The kind of laughter where you throw your head back and cant contain yourself. He laughs, runs away to the next thing he's going to terrorize. So before I make the awful decision to go wild on this boy... I can only wonder exactly when I'll be checked into a mental hospital.

   It's 11:57, almost noon, and I realized I've been too busy with this little animal to even eat or drink anything today. So, because I'm too frazzled make sweet tea, I'm drinking water. (Betcha tequila could've done the trick.) And shoveling dark chocolate m&m's in my mouth... and letting my nerves calm down. This is the point where retail therapy couldn't even calm these nerves, so you get the pleasure of my seeing my reaction firsthand. Deeeeep breath, mama.

  These moments are what make me thankful for the blessing of one healthy toddler, and one soon-to-be baby girl. (sigh of relief.) Two children. And looks like we'll do everything in our power to keep it that way. Just two.

     Meanwhile, during this stage of pregnancy, (I'm 28 weeks today!) my back is starting to really ache, I'm doing all I can to avoid the "waddle". I've been treating myself to lots of reading when I can sneak to bed early. I'm truly ready for complete hibernation mode come wintertime and baby! Last week, Brian and I took a little time together in the mountains for our 5th anniversary, and a little downtime to hibernate ourselves. We visited Cashiers, NC where I was so pleasantly surprised by all the dahlia gardens!









Needless to say, it was a beautiful getaway. I finished my book. We took long naps. We sat by the fire. 
It was a restful way to calm our little selves down and mentally prepare for the season ahead. I've bought one Christmas present, and Brian brought home an entire truck bed of firewood. We're preparing ourselves for a growing family, a chilly season, all while experiencing truly funny (yes, I'm over it now) moments to look back on... 
Somehow I know we'll miss this age he's at.
After all, we did pray for a wild little boy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Living with intention. Life in the south as a wife, mama, hairstylist, and food lover.

Followers