Saturday, April 21, 2012

What matters most.



                   
What matters most.
          I want Brady to learn that he's free-to-be. I want him to grow up with memories of a childhood simply described as fun and happy. I want him to remember a mom and dad who are truly in love and home as a comfortable and safe place to stay. Being such a little thing, I know that if he can remember how to catch the kiss I blow and give giant bear hugs, he's taking in every single little thing about his surroundings. So, it's simply our responsibility to make sure his world is filled with good and necessary things. 

          Being away from the internet for a week was probably the best thing I've done in a very long time. I finished an incredible novel. I began a new one. I baked a delicious new recipe. And (okay, I might have lied...) printed a few fun recipes to try for the BIG cookout celebrating our backyard makeover. Our friends visited last night for a cookout, and we're still begging the Warrens to move back to Greenville. It's just been a wonderful week. Without the internet. 

Half Broke Horses

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls
“As I sat down, though, I realized that you can get used to certain luxuries that you start to think they're necessities, but when you have to forgo them, you come to see that you don't need them after all. There was a big difference between needing things and wanting things--though a lot of people had trouble telling the two apart--and at the ranch, I could see, we have pretty much everything we'd need but precious little else.”      

     If you haven't read this book, please do. Jeannette Walls also wrote The Glass Castle which is just as wonderful. I've picked up my love for books once again, and I've vowed to simplify my life. For Brady, and for myself. 

    I've watched Brian work SO very hard managing his business and making sure things are progressing at our house. For no other reason than giving Brady a place to run free as soon as possible. My boys are my everything, and every minute with Brady is an opportunity to fill him with lessons and laughter. If he grows up to be just like daddy, well.... there's a special little girl out there that will be made sure all her dreams come true. There are just some things we can do without. Sort of like clutter, settling down right in front of where we really need to be. For me, right now, I need to simplify.

          Here's to paying more attention to what really matters. Spending less time worrying about what, when, where and why. Here's to making those special moments in life last a little longer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Living with intention. Life in the south as a wife, mama, hairstylist, and food lover.

Followers